Arsene Wenger says Arsenal are ‘ready to spend’ money in the transfer window, as long as it is done in the right way.
The Gunners were booed from the pitch at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday, after losing 4-3 to Liverpool in their opening Premier League game of the season.
With captain Per Mertesacker and Gabriel Paulista injured and Laurent Koscielny still regaining fitness following Euro 2016, Wenger was forced to select 20-year-old Rob Holding alongside 21-year-old Calum Chambers at the heart of Arsenal’s defence.
Wenger refused to provide an update on Arsenal’s reported move for Valencia defender Shkodran Mustafi with Sky Sports reporting that the player has agreed to join Arsenal, but the clubs have yet to finalise a fee.
When asked about the deal, Wenger said:
“I believe it is better I don’t talk about any individual player. We are ready to spend the money we have. It’s not my money. It’s important to spend money the right way.”
When Wenger was asked if conceding four goals at home against Liverpool has increased the urgency for Arsenal to sign a centre-half, he said:
“It was important before the game. You do not sign players because you think it’s very important or not.
“I think it’s very difficult to find players and identify them. That’s why everyone is on the market for the same players and the deals.”
Arsenal have reportedly been searching for an experienced centre-half, but have so far been unable to get a deal over the line with Holding – who was signed from Bolton Wanderers for £2m – viewed more as a player for the future.